HABARI DAILY I Kampala, Uganda I Courts across the country yesterday further remanded three senior leaders of the National Unity Platform (NUP), denying them bail amid ongoing investigations into charges of terrorism and inciting violence linked to the recently concluded general elections.
The NUP deputy president for the central region, Muhammad Muwanga Kivumbi, and his 24 co-accused were produced before the Chief Magistrates’ Court in Butambala District, while the party’s deputy president for northern Uganda, Dr Lina Zedriga, appeared before the Gulu Chief Magistrates’ Court. Also remanded was Nakawa West Lord Councillor and NUP election management committee member John Mary Ssebuufu, who appeared before the Nakawa Magistrates’ Court.
The three were denied bail largely on grounds that investigations were still ongoing, the offences were grave, and the State required more time to compile and review evidence before responding substantively to their applications.
Terrorism charges weigh against Kivumbi
Kivumbi’s case attracted heavy security deployment as he was driven in a prison bus to court, welcomed by chanting supporters. He and his co-accused face terrorism-related charges stemming from violence that erupted in Butambala District during the January 15, 2026 presidential and parliamentary elections, which left seven people dead.
The court remanded Kivumbi and his co-accused to Kitalya Prison until March 10 to allow the prosecution to continue investigations. Magistrate Deogratious Ssejjemba ruled that the court could not interfere with the investigative mandate of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP), despite defence complaints of biased and selective inquiries.
One of Kivumbi’s lawyers, Medard Sseggona, argued that his client’s constitutional rights had been violated, citing lack of access to legal counsel, delayed information about charges, and alleged attempts by police to coerce him into recording a statement along a predetermined narrative.
“He has never recorded a statement because he declined to follow the dictates of the police. They wanted a particular line of statement, especially regarding the murders that took place at his house that night,” Sseggona said.
However, the magistrate held that such complaints should be addressed through formal applications and constitutional petitions, not through bail proceedings, effectively closing the door to Kivumbi’s release for now.
Zedriga: Court seeks more time
In Gulu, Dr Zedriga was denied bail after the State asked for more time to review documents submitted in support of her application. Chief Magistrate Augustine Alule Koma ruled that the prosecution needed adequate time to assess the materials, which had been issued by authorities from various districts.
Zedriga faces charges of inciting violence during the election period. The State alleges that in December 2025, at multiple locations in Gulu, Amuru, Omoro and Nwoya districts, she incited attacks against supporters of the ruling National Resistance Movement (NRM) party based on political affiliation.
She strongly denies the accusations, describing them as politically motivated. Her lawyers protested her transfer from Luzira Women’s Prison to Gulu Women’s Prison overnight, arguing that the move hampered her access to legal representation. Nevertheless, the court ordered her continued remand until February 24 pending the State’s formal response to her bail application.
Ssebuufu held over procedural delays
At Nakawa Magistrates’ Court, Ssebuufu was further remanded to Luzira Prison for two weeks after the State said it was unable to access crucial case documents from the Electronic Court Case Management Information System (ECCMIS).
His lawyer, Kakuru Tumusiime, told court they were ready to proceed with the bail hearing, but the prosecution insisted that technical challenges had prevented them from retrieving relevant files. Grade One Magistrate Frank Namanya ruled that the hearing could not proceed fairly without those records and adjourned the case to March 3.
Ssebuufu, who has been in detention for three weeks, is accused of inciting violence in Kampala, Mukono, Masaka and Mpigi districts between November and December 2025. Prosecutors allege he mobilised attacks against NRM supporters based on political opinion. He has also denied the charges.
Courts cite gravity, investigations
Legal analysts say the courts’ decisions to deny bail were heavily influenced by the gravity of the offences, ongoing investigations, and procedural concerns raised by the prosecution. Terrorism and election-related violence are classified among the most serious offences, often prompting courts to exercise caution when considering bail.
As the cases return to court in the coming weeks, the fate of the three NUP leaders will depend on the pace and credibility of investigations, the prosecution’s ability to present compelling evidence, and the defence’s challenge to alleged violations of constitutional rights.
For now, the trio remains behind bars, as political tensions continue to simmer in the aftermath of Uganda’s closely contested elections.

